Prof. Mohamed Nabil Mawsouf
Professor of Pain Management and Head of Ozone Therapy Unit, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University
Conditions to be treated
- Inflammatory conditions:
–Infertility due to inflammatory condition
–Inflammatory disease of lower female genital organs
- Autoimmune disorders:
–Infertility due to autoimmune disorder
- Placental vascular Insufficiency
- Prevention and treatment of Intrauterine Fetus Infection
- Vaginal Fungal Infection
Precautions It is recommended not to administer systemic ozone in the first triminister
Antiviral Effects of Ozone
- The virus with its spikes of the free virion react via condensation with the corresponding receiver substance of the cell (Nacetylglucosaminic acid), thus enabling the virus to penetrate the host cell.
- The free pair of electrons on the nitrogen of the N-acetylglucosamine represents the point of attack for the electrophilic ozone molecule or its peroxides, so that further reaction is blocked for the virus, making it inactive (Gerard, 1994).
- Denaturation of virions through direct contact with ozone. Ozone disrupts viral envelope proteins, lipoproteins, lipids, and glycoproteins.
- The presence of numerous double bonds in these unsaturated molecules makes them vulnerable to the oxidizing effects of ozone. (Gérard & Sunnen 2001).
- Ozone proper, and the peroxide compounds it creates, may directly alter structures on the viral envelope which are necessary for attachment to host cells. Peplomers, the viral glycoproteins protuberances which connect to host cell receptors are likely sites of ozone action.
- The electrophilic reaction of ozone can also take place with the unsaturated fatty acids as a membrane constituent of the virally infected cell body and inject peroxides into the cell. The infected cell, already produces hydrogen peroxides (H2O2) as a defense mechanism, so that further peroxides are no longer tolerated and the cell bursts before reproduction of the viruses has been completed.
- The peroxides introduced into the cell act synergistically with those already present inside it thus destroying any microorganisms which had penetrated.(Konrad, 1995)
- It is known that, a normal body cell has a wall, which contains antioxidant enzymes (glutathione, catalase, super oxide dismutase).
- These enzymes are absent or deficient in bacteria, fungi and viruses (viruses have no cell wall). So they cannot withstand this oxidative stress caused by the single oxygen and the free radicals, which are already, present in the body.(Balkanyi, 1989)
- Alteration in peplomer integrity impairs attachment to host cellular membranes foiling viral attachment and penetration.
- Ozone induces the release of cytokines by leucocytes .
- Stimulation of the immune mechanisms will lead to significant reduction of circulating virions (Gérard & Sunnen 2001).
Antibacterial Effects of Ozone
- Chronic infections are bound to occur when, leucocytes are no longer in a position to destroy bacteria, i.e. when no H2O2 or too little of it is formed.
- It is at this point that the positive influence of the peroxides formed during ozone treatment at once becomes understandable. (Urban et al., 1995)
- The single oxygen which is formed by either conversion of ozone into O2 + O- or H2O2 ® H2O + O- is a powerful oxidizing agent which inhibits the growth of anaerobic organisms which use carbon dioxide for fuel and leave oxygen as a byproduct (Nathaniel, 1995).
- The second effect of hydrogen peroxide is that it provides single oxygen, which in turn, transforms biological waste products and toxins into inert substances by oxidizing them making them easy to be excreted by the liver and kidneys. (Baggs, 1993)